Original Title: 我的父亲母亲
Directed by: Zhang Yimou
Written by: Bao Shi
Cinematography: Hou Yong
Music by: San Bao
Genres: Drama, Romance
Duration: 89 min
Release Dates: 16 Oct. 1999 (China), 15 Feb. 2000 (Berlin), 5 Nov 2000 (Tokyo)
Filming Dates: Late 1998 – Early 1999
Filming Locations: China
• The film was written by author Bao Shi, who adapted the screenplay from his novel, Remembrance.
• Zhang Yimou said that this film was his tribute to and heavily influenced by the work of Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami.
• One year before filming, Zhang Yimou was searching amongst Chinese girls for a shampoo commercial. She didn’t get the commercial, but Yimou was so impressed that he had her to an audition for this movie.
• The audition was tough. They made her cry, laugh, read lines, but she performed beautifully. They sent people to the countryside to see how they’d overcome this way of life, Ziyi auditioned three or four times before getting the part.
• Zhang Yimou wanted a very simple, pure girl for the role, but Ziyi felt tremendous pressure to perform. He took her script away from her and didn’t let her read it. Every day He sent her off to play because he wanted to preserve her purity, her childishness.
• There were a lot of scenes in the film that required Ziyi to run in the forest that were shot in slow motion. she fell down during half of the takes. It required 300 or 400 takes and she fell down during half of them.
|1999 American Cinema Association||Star of the future||Zhang Ziyi||Won|
|1999 CineAsia Awards||Star of Tomorrow||Zhang Ziyi||Won|
|2000 Berlin Film Festival||Golden Berlin Bear||Zhang Yimou||Nominated|
|Jury Grand Prix||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|Prize of the Ecumenical Jury||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2000 Shanghai Film Critics Awards||Film of Merit||–||Won|
|2000 Golden Rooster Awards||Best Film||–||Won|
|Best Director||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|Best Actress||Zhang Ziyi||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Yong Hou||Won|
|Best Art Direction||Juiping Cao||Won|
|2000 Hundred Flowers Awards||Best Film||–||Won|
|Best Actress||Zhang Ziyi||Won|
|2000 Ljubljana Film Festival||Audience Award||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2001 Cinema Writers Circle Awards||Best Foreign Film||–||Nominated|
|2001 Sundance Film Festival||Audience Award||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2001 Kinema Junpo Awards||Best Foreign Director||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2001 Fajr Film Festival||Best Film||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2001 Bodil Awards||Best Non-American Film||Zhang Yimou||Nominated|
|2001 Florida Film Festival||Best International Film||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2001 Iran Film Festival||Best Actress||Zhang Ziyi||Won|
|2001 BOP’s Calvin Awards||Best Actress||Zhang Ziyi||Won (2nd)|
|2002 Dallas-Forth Critics Association||Best Foreign Film||–||Nominated|
|2002 Kinema Junpo Awards||Best Foreign Film||Zhang Yimou||Won|
|2002 Chicago Film Critics Association||Best Foreign Film||–||Nominated|